Free Email Account at your Domain Name with Windows LiveJune 2nd, 2009
Windows Live is a free service from Microsoft that provides you with email hosting for your own domain name. Using Windows Live and a free DNS hosting solution at Namecheap you can setup Hotmail email accounts @yourowndomain.com absolutely free!
Follow these steps to get your free email hosting:
- First you will need your own domain name which you can buy from Namecheap itself. They offer reasonable prices, good customer service and an excellent control panel. You can also use the domain lookup form below:
- When buying the domain from Namecheap make sure you choose to use their free name servers.
- Open a new browser tab or window and go to Windows Live for domains and click on “Get Started” under “Custom Domains”. Follow the on-screen instructions to sign up for email hosting for your domain name.
- Once you’ve signed up with Windows Live you will be asked to setup your DNS records.
- To setup your DNS records you will have to switch to your Namecheap account tab or window. While logged in to your Namecheap account, move you mouse over to the “My account” button on the top right of the page and choose “Manage Domains”. Select your domain from the list.
- Choose “All Host Records” under “Host Management” in the left side menu.
- Under “Mail settings” choose “User” and “I will specify my own MX records”. Click on “Save Changes”.
- You can now specify your own MX records. Enter @ for the “Host Name” and the MX server that Windows Live asked you to set as the “Mailserver Host Name”. Click on save changes.
- Now switch to the Windows Live account and click on the refresh button. Hopefully your domain should now be verified with Windows Live. If not, you should try again in a day or two by which time the DNS changes would have propagated.
Once your domain is verified you can add up to 500 free email accounts and enjoy free email hosting at your custom domain name!